Sunday 24 April 2016

Note & verses 10th Commandment Don't Covet

“What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “Do not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.”
(Romans 7:7–12 NIV)

Covetousness = selfishness

Some people have been given more: Some are richer, taller, better looking etc.

When we break the 10th commandment, we are always breaking at least one of the other 9 commandments.

Some people think that so long as you haven't committed the act, you haven't broken the commandment. This was the logic of the Pharasees.

“And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness [NIV: all kinds of greed], for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.””
(Luke 12:15 ESV)

“For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.”
(1 John 2:16 NIV)

1Tim. 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

“for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me”
(2 Timothy 4:10 NIV)

The cure for covetousness

“And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”
(2 Corinthians 5:15–17 NIV)

“Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?”
(Luke 9:23–25 NIV)

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.”
(1 Timothy 6:6 NIV)

“Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,  “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.””
(Hebrews 13:5 NIV)

“But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.”
(1 Timothy 6:8 NIV)

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”
(Philippians 4:11–12 NIV)

Conclusion

“And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, [NIV: all kinds of greed] for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.””
(Luke 12:15 ESV)

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?”
(Luke 9:25 NIV)





No comments:

Post a Comment